Tuesday, March 06, 2007

bringin' back nappy

The love affair with my hair continues....

Anybody who knows me can attest to the fact that I don't really need a reason to take obscene amounts of photos of myself - any random excuse will do. And this whole "new hair" thing is providing me with lots of excuses.

So, I have modified my style options ever so slightly over the last week...

I'm still obsessed with the Leave In Conditioner recipe I got from Aldrea's website:

1 part glycerin
1 part conditioner
3 parts water

I use it every day. And about every other day, I spritz in a Rosemary Oil & water mixture.



I haven't combed my hair in I-don't-know-how-long...I've just been finger combing it in the shower. And the glycerin makes it so curly, I finger it most of the day too!

So, ever since last week, when I had no choice but to come to work in all my nappy glory, I haven't tried to smush all this hair down anymore. I alternated between my "flesh toned" knee high stocking and a black or white trouser sock. A girlfriend of mine who is in the process of loc-ing felt some pity on me and gave me her bra strap headband.









So I look a lot less tacky than before. Trust, trying to keep the knee part of the knee high tucked in was not easy.

But I started to be worried about breakage around the hairline. So I went out and got some of those itty bitty butterfly clips and...



I used the Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey...



...finally found a good reason to use this Organic Root Stimulator Loc & Twist Gel...












What I've Learned:

1. any twists or braids I do to the front are going to be fuzzy for a while, because my of initial haircut - she took down that front part for some reason

2. the fuzzy short part in the front is going to be even fuzzier if I don't take the time to do actual 2 strand twists, instead of just kind-of twisting my hair back (I was being lazy)

3. the Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey has a tendancy to drip down my face & neck and irritates me. the smell is soooo strong, it's a bit overwhelming and I keep feeling itchy, like I'm having a reaction to it.

4. even when I work a 12 hour day, I am still inspired to take pictures of my hair & post them on the blog.

1 comment:

Tam said...

I did not like that Organic Twist gel. I thought it was too granular. It left a lot of gel residue in my hair and I ultimately had to find a good clarifying shampoo to get the stuff out. I finally figured out if you add warm water and stir the stuff has a better consistency.

Check out the Miss Jessie's butter cream site. I make my own version of the stuff and it makes my hair happy. For two days...

http://www.missjessies.com/products.htm