Tuesday, March 13, 2007

40 days & 40 nights

Ok, well technically it's only been 37 days and 36 nights....but it's Lent & Easter time and all, so why not?

It's going to be hard, I think, show a true growth comparison here, but I'll try. Here I am 35-ish days ago...



I was still able to smush all that hair down neatly....



...even though there was sooooooo much of it!








I wouldn't even attempt to try to smush it down NOW!










As you can (hopefully) see, it is growing like crazy. I am anxious for the back to grow a little longer, a little faster, so my afro puff can sit a little higher on my head...but I know I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'm struggling to come up with & maintain a routine.

I am still using the Leave In Conditioner every day and very happy with the way that's working. I have changed my morning routine a bit so that I do all my hair stuff as soon as I get in the shower. That way, the humidity has a chance to work on the Glycerin, and it can do it's magic on my curly, girly 'fro.

However, the past week has presented some new difficulties:

1. Tangles.
I have to be honest, once I saw how the Glycerin was making those adorable little coils in my hair, I stopped combing & brushing it. And after a week or so, those coils were all over my head. I'd be driving down the street, absentmindedly playing in my hair, discovering those things in all different areas of my head - front, back, top, sides. But I knew there would come a time when I'd have to put a comb to all that cuteness and it would take a few days for it to return. Before I even did a comb through, I did as much detangling as I could with my fingers. I thought I was keeping a pretty good handle on it since I finger comb pretty thoroughly each day in the shower. But it seems that I need to pay more attention to untangling those ends. I probably also need a haircut. I'll try to squeeze that in next week & see if it helps.

2. Moisture (or lack thereof)

I just don't know how to work it out consistently. I've been using the Carol's Daughter Hair Milk at night sometimes. It's greasy and my hair easily soaks up 3 or 4 quarter sized dollops of it (which is an awful lot considering it cost me $10 for 8 ounces). But it feels softer when I wake up in the morning. And I had been spraying the water/Rosemary Oil in while I'm in the shower. And in this last week, I'm just not sure what happened. It has been super dry...like parched & crunchy, for the past couple of days!!!

I washed my hair with a homemade glycerin soap about a week ago. I haven't followed up to see what ALL the ingredients are, so that may have something to do with it. The soap is super lather-y.

I washed my hair a few days later with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Shampoo/Soap. But I've been too lazy to properly dilute it, so I am sure I used way too much, 'cause I was just putting it on by itself. That has probably contributed to the problem also.

Not to mention, I hadn't washed it in probably 2 weeks before this recent rash of shampooings!


And then yesterday, before I did anything else, I put some of the Mizani conditioner in for a few minutes. I did everything else the same & my hair was quite crispy!

So, once again I'm trying something new. Last night I used the Carol's Daughter Hair Milk before bed. Then this morning before I put in the water/Rosemary Oil and the Leave In Conditioner, I used some Carol's Daughter Healing Hair Butter. Then when I got out of the shower, I put a little coconut oil up-in-and-thru there.

It's really greasy right now. Every time I touch it I have to wash my hands. But it's shiny and it doesn't feel like it's been in the desert for several weeks. This is annoying!

Yes, I'm supposed to be working. But I'm obviously obsessed with my hair........obviously!



Don't worry, I was at a stop sign this time!



No comments: