Wednesday, May 02, 2007

new season, new thoughts

Ok, so I still want my twists. I mostly just don't want to pay anybody right now, and I can't commit to doing it myself. I've never been good at those long tedious processes.

In other news, I have been feeling like Motown Girl's Leave In Conditioner wasn't packing the same punch as it was when I first started using it. I'm in the first few applications my second batch of the stuff and I just decided to revisit Aldrea's Leave In Conditioner.

Here's the visual...



See, you can kind of see that back part of my hair for once. I just recently discovered that it is extremely straight back there. It won't even bend over good - it's just kind of straight. You know, like that allegedly good hair that all nappies wanted back in the 80's when that shit was in...

Well now that I have a small patch of this so-called "good hair", I feel that I can safely say that it is a pain in the ass & I'm glad that texture is not consistent all over my head. I would never be able to mix it up!






So here are my initial observations, after 2 or 3 days.

The MotownGirl Leave-In

  • It's so easy to use because it's super thick so it doesn't drip.
  • I don't like that it doesn't provide tons of moisture or sheen.
  • I really don't like that I have to use such a small amount to avoid my hair having white residue in it.
  • After a while, I wasn't feeling like it was giving me those cute, springy coils I adore so much. I'm not sure if that's because my hair got tired of responding to that formula...or because of the change in seasons (and presumed increase in humidity)...or because I just didn't use the same proportions this time.

The Aldrea Leave-In

  • It's easy to make & doesn't require measuring cups & spoons.
  • My hair seems to maintain it's shiny-ness for most of the day.
  • The water doesn't stop dripping down my neck & face for HOURS after I spray it in. This is an enormous problem. I can't be wiping my face & neck down all damn day. It's kind of gross!
  • The glycerin drips down my face & neck all day and all night. At least I'm assuming it's the glycerin. I don't think that it's the olive oil, because it makes me sticky. It also makes me shiny about the forehead, which is also pretty gross.
  • But it makes those adorable little spirals....[if you can't tell, I'm whining at this point]

So my conclusion is that I'm going to use both for now & see what happens. I tried adding a bit more conditioner to Aldrea's version, but I didn't notice any remarkable results.

Here's a re-post of the 2 Leave-In's referenced above:

ALDREA'S LEAVE-IN

1 part glycerin
1 part conditioner
3 parts water


MOTOWNGIRL'S LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER

1 cup thick, heavy conditioner
1/8 cup oil (I used mostly coconut, then a splash of olive)
1 tblsp Vegetable Glycerin
1 tblsp Silk Peptide Powder

No comments: